These Mini Funfetti Cupcakes are a tasty bite-sized lunchbox treat that is sure to please both kids and adults alike! They are the right size for a birthday party, potlucks, or just to have as a weekday dessert. Top with a vanilla buttercream frosting if desired, or leave them naked like we’ll be doing for this recipe.
What are Mini Funfetti Cupcakes?
A delicious and fluffy vanilla cupcake loaded with sprinkles, this lunchbox dessert will make your kids smile whenever they open their lunch box!
This homemade funfetti cupcake recipe recipe makes 24 mini muffins and takes under 30 minutes to put together. Wrap and freeze what you don’t use that day, to place into your kids lunchbox.
They are baked to moist perfection and 100 times better than the box mix. There is nothing better than homemade treats that are easy to put together. All of the ingredients we’ll be using today are simple and straightforward pantry ingredients that you might already have on hand.
The Players for Mini Funfetti Cupcakes
- Butter – You’ll need one stick of room temperature butter for this easy recipe.
- Sugar – Granulated white sugar is perfect for these cute mini cupcakes.
- Eggs – We’ll be using one whole egg and one egg white for this recipe.
- Milk – I always like using whole milk when baking, but feel free to use whatever you have in your fridge. I also like to bring my milk to room temperature in a measuring cup along with my butter and eggs.
- Vanilla Extract – This will enhance the flavor of our mini vanilla cupcakes.
- Flour – We’ll be using plain white all-purpose flour for this recipe. No cake flour today!
- Baking Powder – Using this leavening agent will help create a fluffy texture for our muffins.
- Salt – Just a dash of kosher salt is all you’ll need to bring the flavors together.
- Sprinkles – To make these homemade funfetti cupcakes, we’ll be using rainbow jimmies as our type of sprinkles. These rainbow sprinkles are recommended over the nonpareils (the small, round balls) as the color of the sprinkles will bleed into the batter. And not in a cute way.
- Muffin Tin – I’ll be using a cupcake pan that holds 24 muffins.
- Cupcake Liners – For these confetti cupcakes, I don’t use the mini paper liners. However, you totally can to help keep them moist if you plan on eating them right away. These mini cupcake liners would be perfect!
How to make Mini Funfetti Cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray or line the pan with liners if using. If you decide to use the mini paper liners, make sure to spray with non-stick spray on the top of the pan to ensure that the cupcakes. Set your muffin pan aside.
In a medium bowl with a wooden spoon or in a large bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, begin to beat your butter until it is creamy, about 1 minute. To your mixing bowl, add your white sugar and cream together on medium-high speed for one minute.
Add one whole egg, one egg white, and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix together for an additional minute until the eggs have mixed in completely. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula to ensure the sugar and butter mixture is fully getting incorporated.
Carefully, begin to pour in your milk and mix.
To the same bowl, add in your flour, baking powder, and salt and mix the flour mixture until thoroughly combined into the wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, begin to fold in your colorful sprinkles into the cupcake batter.
Divide batter into the muffin tin, filling the cups all of the way with the muffin batter and place them into the preheated oven.
Bake time will be anywhere from 15-18 minutes, checking them at the 15-minute mark to ensure they don’t overbake.
Allow the mini funfetti cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack before removing and eating. Enjoy!
How to make Buttercream Frosting
If you want to make these cupcakes extra special, you can make your own vanilla buttercream to top them off!
Whip 1 stick of room-temperature butter in a small bowl using a hand mixer. Carefully beat in 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla into the butter. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of whole milk (might need more or less depending on the consistency you want) and mix well.
Top off your delicious cupcakes with as much frosting as you’d like and add extra sprinkles on top!
Storage and Freezing Instructions for Mini Funfetti Cupcakes
To store your mini funfetti cupcakes, place them in an airtight container and keep them on the counter for 3 to 4 days. To freeze your muffins, wrap them in plastic wrap and place them into freezer ziplock bags. They will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Pin it for Later
If you enjoyed these mini funfetti cupcakes, please leave me a comment. I’d love to chat with you!
Looking for other lunchbox treats? Check out these sweet recipes next!
- Lunchbox Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- Delicious and Fudgy Lunchbox Brownies Recipes
- Starbucks Copycat Pumpkin Loaf Recipe
- The Best Homemade Chocolate Brownie Cake Recipe
- Cherry and Almond Thumbprint Cookies
- The Best M&M Monster Cookies with Peanut Butter
- Easy Homemade Fresh Strawberry Sheet Cake Recipe
Homemade Lunchbox Funfetti Bites
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup) room temperature
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 2/3 cup whole milk room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup jimmy rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray or line the pan with liners if using and set aside.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, begin to beat your butter until it is creamy, about 1 minute. Add sugar and cream together on medium-high speed for one minute.
- Add one whole egg, one egg white, and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix together for an additional minute.
- Mix in your milk carefully.
- Divide batter into the muffin tin, filling the cups all of the way with the muffin batter.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, checking them at the 15-minute mark to ensure they don't overbake.
- Allow the mini funfetti cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack before removing and eating. Enjoy!
Psalm 46:5 - "God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day."