This Ultimate Pancakes recipe make fluffy, airy, and light pancakes, perfect for the whole family! Say goodbye to the box mix, these will be your number one best pancake recipe! Top of these homemade pancakes with your favorite toppings like chocolate chips, fresh berries, Nutella, or whipped cream.
I’ve been using this favorite pancake recipe for over a decade because it is seriously that good. It requires simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen! These spongy and fluffy pancakes are not only great for the same day you make them, but they freeze wonderfully for leftover pancakes! These make fast breakfasts for those rushed school day mornings. They heat up in under one minute in the microwave, which is a major bonus. So double up the recipe and freeze the unused pancakes for another day.
The Secret to the Ultimate Pancakes Recipe
The secret to making this ultimate pancake recipe is not over-mixing, which is the problem when you see tough or flat pancakes. What happens when you mix your pancake batter, is that the leavening agents you use (baking soda and baking powder) create these air bubbles which lead to fluffy pancakes.
If you over-mix, you’re essentially popping those air bubbles, resulting in flat pancakes. When you go to stir your batter, make sure you’re stirring just enough to combine. You’ll see some lumps in your batter, but that’s perfectly okay! As long as the majority of your ingredients are combined, you’ll end up with the best pancakes ever!
The Players for this Ultimate Pancakes Recipe
- Flour – All-purpose flour is what I use for this perfect pancake recipe.
- Sugar – Just a few tablespoons of sugar will do! I use granulated white sugar.
- Butter – You’ll need melted butter for this easy pancake recipe. You can melt your butter in the microwave or on the stove-top. Just allow the butter to cool for a couple of minutes before adding it to your batter.
- Eggs – Two large eggs are used in this ultimate pancakes recipe.
- Leavening Agents – Both Baking Soda and Baking Powder are called for to create fluffy pancakes.
- Salt – To bring all of the flavors together.
- Buttermilk – I personally don’t purchase Buttermilk from the grocery store since it’s expensive and goes bad quickly. I prefer to make my own Buttermilk by combining 1 cup of whole milk with 2 tablespoons of white vinegar. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes before using.
- Vanilla Extract – This brings warmth and sweetness to the pancakes
- Almond Extract – I love to add a little bit of Almond extract to this ultimate pancakes recipe. It brings a slightly nutty, rich warmth to the pancakes, making them taste delicious!
- Electric Skillet – I love using my Electric Skillet for frying up pancakes! It’s large enough to cook up to 6 pancakes, which makes the process go by even faster. I also use my Electric Skillet for my Sticky Honey Chicken Recipe and The Best Brioche French Toast Recipe.
- Non-Stick Pan – A large Non-Stick Pan can also be used for this pancake recipe, but it might take you several batches at the stove-top if you don’t mind that!
- Electric Griddle – An Electric Griddle or Stove-Top Griddle will cook up your pancakes in no time.
How to Make the Ultimate Pancakes
Make the buttermilk first, by combining 1 cup milk with 2 tablespoons of white vinegar in a small bowl, and allow the milk mixture to sour for 5 minutes before using.
Melt two tablespoons of butter in the microwave or on the stove-top and allow the butter to cool for a few minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. This is the only time that you’ll really want to whisk the dry ingredients well, since we don’t want to over-mix the batter when we add the wet ingredients.
To your large bowl, add in your soured milk mixture, eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Gently mix to combine. You will see a few lumps, but this is okay, because we don’t want to pop those air bubbles.
Over medium-low heat, warm up your electric skillet, non-stick pan, or griddle. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or add butter to your skillet and allow it to melt. Using a ladle or pouring directly from the bowl, pour your batter into your skillet creating circles.
Allow the pancakes to cook for about 2 minutes or until the edges of the pancakes begin to brown and the center becomes bubbly. Flip your pancakes over and cook on the other side for 2 to 3 more minutes, until golden brown.
Storing and Freezing Leftover Pancakes
If you want to freeze your leftover pancakes, place your cooked and cooled pancakes on a cooling rack and stick them in the freezer for about 45 minutes or until they are frozen. Once frozen, wrap your pancakes in wax paper and store them in a large freezer ziplock bag. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheating Frozen Homemade Pancakes
There are a few ways to reheat frozen homemade pancakes, remove your pancakes from the freezer and allow them to defrost on your counter.
- Microwave – Wrap your defrosted pancakes in a paper towel, place them on a microwave-safe plate, and heat for 20 seconds. Flip the pancakes over and heat the other side for an additional 20 seconds, and serve warm.
- Oven – Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the desired amount of defrosted pancakes onto a baking sheet and reheat the pancakes for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Air Fryer – Preheat your air fryer to 300 degrees F and place 2-3 defrosted pancakes in the basket (depending on the size you might only be able to fit one or two). Reheat for 3 minutes.
Best Toppings for the Ultimate Pancakes Recipe
The best thing about pancakes is that there are endless possibilities for toppings! Here are some pancake topping ideas:
- Fresh blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries
- Peanut butter
- Whipped cream
- White or Dark Chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
- Jams or preserves
- Bacon & Maple syrup
- Chopped pecans or walnuts
- Lemon juice & Sugar
- Fruit and simple syrups
- Other fresh fruit like sliced bananas or chopped apples
What to Serve with these Ultimate Pancakes:
Pin it for later!
If you end up making these Ultimate Fluffy Homemade Pancakes, leave me a comment with what your favorite pancake toppings are, I’d love to chat with you!
Looking for other delicious breakfast ideas? Check these out next!
- Baked Creme Brulee French Toast Recipe
- The Best From Scratch Belgian Waffles
- Easy Butter Croissant French Toast
- Starbucks Copycat Pumpkin Scones Recipe
- The Best Brioche Cinnamon French Toast Recipe
- Healthy One Bowl Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Starbucks Dupe Pumpkin Loaf Recipe
The Ultimate Fluffy Homemade Pancakes Recipe
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Make the buttermilk first, by combining milk with white vinegar in a small bowl, and allow the milk mixture to sour for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- To your large bowl, add your soured milk, eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Gently mix to combine. You will see a few lumps, but this is okay, because we don't want to pop those air bubbles.
- Over medium-low heat, warm up your electric skillet and spray with non-stick cooking spray or butter. Pour your batter into your skillet creating circles.
- Allow the pancakes to cook for 2 minutes or until the edges of the pancakes begin to brown. Flip your pancakes over and cook on the other side for 2 to 3 more minutes. Enjoy!
Proverbs 23:18 - "For surely there is a hereafter, And your hope will not be cut off."